Saturday, March 13, 2010

March 13, 1938


I was reading about “seeing as God sees,” yesterday and could not help but think about another father that has been through some of the deep hurts of folks leaving.  Still, he taught us about hospitality in a beautiful way, constantly preparing for us and welcoming us—we couldn’t miss the lessons in his love. I will never forget his gifts, not the least of which has been his daughter!
Richard Barnett knew well that “there is enough pain and sorrow in any city block to crack the heart of the world.” Still, he always offered for us around him a “willingness to be present enough with one another that we are able to enter into one another’s suffering… time to be present to God and to one another, to let go of the vested interests that blind us to what God sees.” (quotes from the same article above)
Today is the birthday of my late father in-law, Richard Oliver Barnett, and he is once again reminding me of Jesus’ love.
Mike C.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Beautiful tribute Mike. You're always there to remind me of the love and inspiration of my parents. Another thought about Daddy that continues to make me think, is his extravagant generosity. Reminds me to strive to give big to others, even when we don't think we have enough for ourselves. So blessed to be your partner through this life and beyond. Keep at it....you're giving the world a glimpse of God's heart through your writings. I'm so proud of who you are and what you dare to grow into!
Brooke

Mike C. said...

:-)