Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jerusalem too*

*Great post over at Rock and Theology this past Sunday by dnantais:
Just a brief post on this lazy Sunday morning in gratitude that the end of the world did not come yesterday.

For the umpteenth time a president of the United States is attempting to initiate a peace process in Israel. The history in this part of the world is much too rich and complex to think that there are any quick-fix solutions. I take comfort, however, in this song by Steve Earle called “Jeruslaem.” Earle’s voice holds authenticity for me–he has seen a lot of pain in his life and yet he can muster the courage to be hopeful without falling into naivete. It would be nice if his hope were infectious.
Jerusalem(Steve Earle)
I woke up this mornin’ and none of the news was good
And death machines were rumblin’ ‘cross the ground where Jesus stood
And the man on my TV told me that it had always been that way
And there was nothin’ anyone could do or say

And I almost listened to him
Yeah, I almost lost my mind
Then I regained my senses again
And looked into my heart to find

That I believe that one fine day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem 
Well maybe I’m only dreamin’ and maybe I’m just a fool
But I don’t remember learnin’ how to hate in Sunday school
But somewhere along the way I strayed and I never looked back again
But I still find some comfort now and then
Then the storm comes rumblin’ in
And I can’t lay me down
And the drums are drummin’ again
And I can’t stand the sound
But I believe there’ll come a day when the lion and the lamb
Will lie down in peace together in Jerusalem

And there’ll be no barricades then
There’ll be no wire or walls
And we can wash all this blood from our hands
And all this hatred from our souls

And I believe that on that day all the children of Abraham
Will lay down their swords forever in Jerusalem